If you were involved in some type of accident, you may be suffering from a brain injury such as a subdural hematoma. It is important to know how to respond after suffering this type of injury.
Steps to Take After a Subdural Hematoma
After suffering a brain injury such as a subdural hematoma, take the following steps:
- First and foremost, seek immediate medical attention. Obtaining prompt treatment improves your chances for recovery and your overall long-term prognosis after the subdural hematoma.
- Once you have taken care of your health, the next step is to protect your legal rights. It is important to remember that a subdural hematoma can occur even after a seemingly minor accident. Regardless of the size and scope of the accident, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney who can help evaluate your accident and injuries in order to determine how best to proceed.
- Avoid speaking with insurance companies, other attorneys, or other parties involved in the accident. Doing so could potentially harm your case if you later decide to seek compensation for your losses.
- Keep thorough records with regard to your expenses. This includes medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs.
- Gather medical records relating to the subdural hematoma. It is important to document the symptoms you suffer and the complications that result from the injury.
- If there were witnesses to the accident that caused your injury, obtain their statements as soon as possible after the accident. Similarly, you may wish to obtain a copy of the police report if law enforcement responded to the scene of the injury.
- If you decide to file a claim for compensation, do not delay. California, like every other state, imposes time limitations on a victim’s ability to pursue compensation after a brain injury. It is therefore important to act quickly in order not to jeopardize your ability to obtain a financial recovery.
If you suffered a subdural hematoma injury, we are here to help. We encourage you to contact us today at 800-989-6385 to schedule a free consultation.