Photo by Mike Licht / CC
California is a great place to live and work. Due to our great weather and bad traffic, we have to innovate and find new ways to travel around our communities. One of those ways is on a scooter.
Bird and Lime scooters are a new idea sweeping the state that provides easy mobility at a low cost to both the rider and the environment. This is a convenient and inexpensive way to travel. But it can come with risks. Since 1982, Steinberg Injury Lawyers have been trusted to help those hurt in accidents in Los Angeles. Our team of experienced personal injury attorneys can help you and your family with your questions after a scooter accident and are ready to help you receive a financial award to help with any medical treatment your injuries may require. Contact us at 800-350-8888 for a free consultation.
Scooters and Safety
While efficient for short trips, scooters require you to be acutely aware of your surroundings while riding one. You need to do this because many other people won’t. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe while riding a Bird or Lime scooter in Los Angeles.
- Be aware of your surroundings when riding a Bird or Lime scooter
- Make sure you are following the rules of the road. Even though you aren’t in a car, you still have to follow the laws of the road
- Wear a helmet. Even though you are traveling at much slower speeds, an accident at 10 miles per hour can cause serious injuries
- Be aware of potholes, debris and other road hazards
- Understand how to operate the scooter
Accidents Can Happen While Riding a Bird or Lime Scooter
Accidents can occur on scooters just like they can with regular vehicles. In fact, many accidents occur between scooters and vehicles. Someone driving a car may not see you or may not look and hit you while you are riding your scooter. You may be injured by a malfunctioning scooter. The brakes might lock up or a tire might go flat causing you to run into something or fall off. You may also be injured as a pedestrian who is struck by someone riding a scooter.
Common Injuries from Scooter Accidents
Most injuries are caused by distracted drivers. You may be riding your scooter, following the rules of the road, but a driver who is distracted by their phone, the radio, or anything else changes lanes and collides with you. This may all happen at slow speeds but that does not mean you get away without any injuries to you or damages to your scooter.
You don’t even need to be riding a scooter to be the victim of a scooter accident. Someone may have left their scooter on the sidewalk and you trip and fall over it. Someone may be riding their scooter on the sidewalk and run into you while you are walking, causing an injury to you.
Injuries from scooter accidents can range from scrapes to broken bones, concussions and other brain injuries, and, in the worst of situations, even death.
Are There California Laws That Apply to Bird and Lime Scooters?
Bird and Lime scooters are motorized, or electric, scooters that fall under California Vehicle Code Section 21235, which requires that riders follow a few specific rules:
- Have a valid driver’s license or permit
- Wear a properly fitted and fastened helmet (regardless of age)
- Ride in the bike lane on the street, not on any sidewalks
- Do not carry any large package that does not allow for at least one hand on the handlebar
- Do not leave the scooter on its side on a sidewalk
- Park the scooter in a way that is not blocking pedestrian traffic
- Do not have more than one person per scooter
- Do not attach themselves or the scooter to any vehicles
What to do After a Scooter Accident
Being involved in a scooter accident is not fun. It can be a confusing experience with uncertainty about how to proceed and what to do next. Taking these steps after an accident can help you build a strong case.
- If there are injuries, call 911
- Stay at the scene of the accident
- Even if there are no injuries, report the accident to the police and request a copy of the accident report
- Take pictures of everything with your phone or camera
- Exchange contact information with anyone involved in the accident and with any witnesses
- Call your insurance company but do not give a statement
- Do not accept blame for the accident by apologizing or agreeing that it was your fault
- Call Steinberg Injury Lawyers as soon as possible
Contact Your Personal Injury Lawyers When You Get in a Scooter Accident
The decision to hire an attorney to represent you in your scooter accident is not an easy one. The lawyer you choose will have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. At Steinberg Injury Lawyers, our seasoned attorneys can help with your scooter accident case. Contact us today at 800-350-8888 for a free, no obligation evaluation of your case to see how we can help you heal and move forward.