Summer time is a popular season for Southern California motorcyclists. It is also a time where we see an influx of Los Angeles motorcycle accidents. Though the risks are well-documented, it is always a good idea to remind yourself of some of the popular motorcycle safety tips.
Before getting on your bike
Motorcycle safety begins before you ever get on your bike. Before turning that key, you should:
- Make sure you have the proper gear, including a durable helmet and a quality pair of gloves.
- Take a look at the owner’s manual.
- Test your headlamp, turn signals, and horn to make sure they are working properly.
- Check all fluids, including oil and fuel levels
- Test your brakes and check all cables.
On the road
We all know that motorcyclists are at their greatest risk while on the road. When navigating through the streets, roads, and freeways, make sure:
You are familiar with all road hazards. Railroad tracks, potholes, and loose gravel can be dangerous for a motorcyclist.
That other drivers can see you at all times. This includes making sure your headlamp is always on, even during the day.
You refrain from unsafe lane-changes, passing, and weaving.
If you have a passenger on board
Your passenger is equally at risk of being seriously injured in the event you are involved in a motorcycle accident. Before you let anyone on the back of your motorcycle:
- Make sure they are old enough to ride.
- Make sure they are wearing a helmet at all times.
- Instruct your passenger to minimize movement, shifting, and talking.
- Verify that your bike is designed to carry a passenger.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident
Unfortunately, no matter how many precautions you take as a rider, you cannot always control what another driver will do. Their actions may lead to a motorcycle accident from which you suffer a serious injury.
If your motorcycle accident injury was the fault of another driver, you might be able to hold that person liable for your damages. The Steinberg Injury Lawyers are experienced in handling motorcycle accident injuries. Our goal is to ensure your rights are protected and that you get the compensation you and your family deserve for your damages.
It all starts by ordering your free copy of our book, 7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Injury Case.
If you or someone you know was injured in a motorcycle accident, contact one of our experienced Los Angeles, California motorcycle accident attorneys for a free case evaluation at Steinberg Injury Lawyers by calling (800) 989-6385.