The New South Wales Government Transport for NSW's Centre for Road Safety recently released a shockingly graphic video as part of its NSW Road Safety campaign on Facebook, designed to illustrate the importance of wearing a seat belt. The video, which shows the effects of a serious car accident on two crash test dummies who were wearing seat belts—as well as two who were not—is a chilling reminder of the consequences of failing to buckle up for safety.
The video, which is accompanied by the campaign's catchy tagline “Clip Every Trip,” racked up hundreds of views in the first 48 hours after it was posted and, to date, has been viewed more than 154,000 times. Not wearing seat belts resulted in the traffic accident fatalities of nearly 200 people in New South Wales between 2007 and 2011. In the United States, that number is much higher.
Seat Belt Accident Statistics in the United States
Each year, more than half of the people who are killed in car accidents were not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Consider the following statistics:
- Seat belt use can reduce accident-related injuries and deaths by up to 50 percent.
- Teens are the demographic least likely to wear a seat belt; adults ages 18 to 34—and men, in particular—are also at risk.
- Adults who live in rural areas are 10 percent less likely to wear seat belts than adults living in other areas.
- 49 states and the District of Columbia have laws that require people to wear seat belts.
- More than 90 percent of Americans wear seat belts regularly.
- Not wearing a seat belt during an accident can affect your personal injury case
Were You Injured in a Car Accident?
Even though seat belts have been proven to help prevent fatalities, they can't prevent many injuries that victims suffer in traffic accidents. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident that occurred as a result of another motorist's unsafe or negligent driving behavior, you may be able to seek compensation that can help you pay for your medical bills, repair damage to your vehicle, or make up your lost wages if your injuries caused you to miss work. Contact the seasoned personal injury attorneys with Steinberg Injury Lawyers today for a free case evaluation. Members of our experienced legal team are available to answer your questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week.