Slip and fall accident victims may be overwhelmed with embarrassment when they fall in front of other people in a public place in and around Ventura. However, if embarrassment is the only result, the accident victim is quite lucky. Many times, slip and fall accidents result in painful injuries that cause long-term complications and permanent disability.
One of the most common slip and fall accident injuries is a broken bone, or fracture, which can be very serious and requires immediate attention. Bone fractures occur when the force exerted on the bone is stronger than the bone itself. Following are six common types of fractures:
- Greenstick fractures take place when a bone bends and cracks instead of breaking into separate pieces. These types of fractures occur most often in children because their bones are soft and pliable.
- Transverse fractures are often the result of a sharp blow that breaks the bone straight across—at a right angle to the bone’s long axis.
- Oblique fractures are caused by a fall or other trauma. The break is typically curved or sloped—running diagonally to the bone’s axis.
- Comminuted fractures are usually triggered by a high-impact blow that causes the bone to fragment into several pieces.
- Impacted fractures also known as buckle fractures, occur when a bone breaks into multiple fragments and the ends are driven into each other.
- Compound fractures, also known as open fractures, occur when a bone breaks and then tears the skin and surrounding soft tissue. The bone protrudes through the open wound, putting the victim at increased risk for infection.
If you broke a bone or suffered some other serious injury during a slip and fall accident you may be entitled to compensation. Call 800-989-6385 today to discuss your legal options during a complimentary consultation with an experienced Ventura slip and fall attorney at Steinberg Injury Lawyers. You may also wish to download a free copy of our book, 7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Injury Case, for information you can use right away.