Your auto insurance policy may include what is known as uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If you are not sure if you have this coverage, you should contact your insurer.

Uninsured motorist coverage is supposed to protect you from loss when a driver with no insurance causes the accident. Underinsured motorist coverage is designed to pay for damages resulting from a driver with insurance that is not sufficient to cover your entire losses.

When an uninsured motorist causes your car accident, your insurance company will most likely request that the driver provide a written statement that he or she has no insurance. You will then need to file a claim with your own insurance company for the damages caused by the crash. If the other driver was underinsured, you can receive compensation up to his or her coverage amount and then file a claim with your insurer to recover the difference.

Recovering compensation from an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver can be challenging. Insurance companies are known for being difficult and you may have a hard time obtaining the damages in which you are entitled.

If you have been injured in a car accident, whether it involved an uninsured motorist or not, you should contact Steinberg Injury Lawyers at 800-989-6385 for legal advice.
Peter Steinberg
Connect with me
Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney Since 1982