We all know dogs as “man’s best friend.” However, in some cases, dogs have attacked unsuspecting victims in a gruesome manner. Not only can a dog bite lead to costly and severe injuries, but they can also inflict lasting emotional trauma for the rest of your life. If a dog recently bit you, it is recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Don’t wait until it is too late to pursue a personal injury case; give our experienced dog bite lawyers in Los Angeles a call to discuss the merits of your case today.
Determining Liability in a Dog Bite Case
Each year, more than 4.5 million people are injured by dogs in the U.S. These injuries often lead to expensive medical bills, emotional trauma and a loss of income. According to State Farm insurance, California leads the nation in dog bite-related injury claims.
Fortunately, there are ways to recover damages from dog owners and their insurance provider in the event of a K-9 attack.
Listed below are some questions used to determine legal liability in dog bite cases.
- Did the dog have a tendency to bite people, without justification, before you were attacked?
- Did the person in control, or owner of the dog, know of their tendency to bite?
- Were any animal control laws violated during the attack?
- Did the person in control of the dog act negligently?
What Types of Damages Can You Recover?
Our dog bite lawyers in Los Angeles understand dog bite laws in California and the nuances of your case. California allows for victims to pursue economic damages, non-economic damages, and in some cases, punitive damages.
Learn more about each below.
- Economic Damages: This can include medical expenses, loss of income, ability to earn money in the future, counseling expenses, and other types of out-of-pocket costs that are related to the attack.
- Non-Economic Damages: Typically encompasses issues like pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and decreased quality of life.
- Punitive Damages: If the dog owner was found to be negligent or aware of their dog’s high propensity to attack, you may be able to recover additional economic damages from the defendant or their insurance company.
When to Consult With Dog Bite Lawyers in Los Angeles
Though it may be clear you were bitten by a dog and suffered injuries, it is not always as easy to recover damages or prove liability successfully. Our dog bite lawyers in Los Angeles are experienced, aggressive, and ready to advocate on your behalf.
You do not have to worry about paying unless we win your case. If you have recently been attacked by a dog at a park (or anywhere else), contact Steinberg Injury Lawyers to schedule your free initial consultation today.