Causes of California Truck Accidents and Resulting Injuries

Whether you are traveling to work during rush hour or taking a scenic Sunday drive, odds are that you are at risk for a Riverside semi-truck accident injury.

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were 60,000 injury crashes involving semi-trucks nationwide in 2009. Sadly, semi-trucks were involved in around 3,000 fatal accidents that same year.

The California truck accident and fatality lawyers at Steinberg see families whose lives have been turned upside down due to the negligence of a truck driver on a regular basis. In the average semi-truck accident, 2% of the injuries occur to the driver of the truck, while the other 98% happen to the drivers or passengers of the other vehicle or vehicles involved.

Some of the most common injuries that our lawyers encounter include:
  • Serious bone breaks 
  • Skull fractures 
  • Second and third degree burns
  • Permanent neck and back injuries

In almost every situation, our clients are in need of surgery, long-term rehabilitation, or physical therapy. The seriousness of these injuries are mostly due to the fact that the semi-trucks weigh so much in comparison to other vehicles on the road, causing tons of damage to smaller cars.

Many times these "accidents" are not really accidents at all, since they are caused by the negligence of the driver. Many are even 100% preventable.

For example, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 29% of all truck-related accidents are caused by a brake-related problem. If regular maintenance were performed and recorded on these trucks, chances are that this statistic would be much lower.

Other causes of Riverside truck accident injuries that we at Steinberg see on a regular basis include:
  • The truck driver drives while feeling drowsy;
  • The driver is under the influence of alcohol or other substances, like prescription medication;
  • The truck is too large for the road;
  • The driver fails to keep a safe distance from other vehicles on the road;
  • The driver does not properly check the road in all directions before changing lanes;
  • Inattention causes the driver to rear-end another vehicle. 

Semi-truck accidents are serious, which is why we encourage anyone who has been injured in one to seek legal advice immediately. Insurance claims can be tricky, as is trying to determine liability and handle paperwork on top of working to reach a full recovery.

The best thing that you can do for yourself is to order a free copy of Seven Biggest Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Injury Case. Written by the lawyers at Steinberg, this book is full of tips for dealing with an insurance company. Call 800.989.6385 for your free copy or to set up a complimentary case evaluation.
Peter Steinberg, Esq.
Connect with me
Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney Since 1982