As personal injury attorneys, we have been handling wrongful death drowning cases in our Los Angeles offices since 1982. A wrongful death drowning means that someone is responsible for the drowning death through some type of negligence. We recently settled a personal injury case in Los Angeles that involved the wrongful death of a 2 year old child who drowned in a hot tub. The details of this tragic accident are far too common. The child was not supervised and the hot tub did not have a fence around it.
AN EMERGING THREAT CAUSING DROWNING- HOT TUBS
One way of drowning that we would rarely think of is being sucked into the drain and held under water. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that hot tubs can entangle a person's hair or body parts. When the cover over the drain becomes broken or missing, people can be held to the bottom of a hot tub by the suction generated from the drain and drowned. Children are especially vulnerable. Due to their smaller size they can be pulled in quicker and not have the strength to free themselves (if it is even possible).
SAFETY TIPS TO PREVENT DROWNING
1) Children should never be left unattended near any body of water. Hot tubs, Bath tubs, pools, lakes, etc.
2) Prior to using a hot tub, note where the emergency cut off switch is located.
3) Never get into a hot tub with a broken or missing drain cover.
4) Teach children to stay away from the spa and pool drains.
5) Drinking alcohol in a hot tub is strongly discouraged. The combination of heat and alcohol can cause a person to lose consciousness and drown.
6) Drinking alcohol while around bodies of water is discouraged, especially if you are with a child
GOOD RESOURCES FOR MORE HOT TUB SAFETY TIPS
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has information dedicated to "Pool and Spa Safety".
- The News Show "America Now" has a great program segment about the dangers of suction caused from missing and broken drain covers. Watch this compelling video: "Hot Tub Horror Stories".
CALL US NOW
If you or a loved one has been affected by a drowning accident, call us now to see if negligence is the cause. We can offer a free consultation over the phone. Do not try to do handle this on your own. If it is determined that you have a case, we will come to your home for your convenience in a difficult time. Steinberg Injury Lawyers has 5 offices in Los Angeles, Ventura, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties to serve you.