The Fourth of July has become a popular holiday for drinking and driving. This puts you and your loved ones at risk of being seriously injured in a Santa Monica car accident.
July 4th is a deadly holiday
Whether you realize it or not, the Fourth of July is one of the deadliest holidays due to alcohol-related accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2010:
- Alcohol-related crashes claimed the lives of 392 people over the Fourth of July weekend.
- Of those crashes, at least one driver had a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher.
- More than 80 percent of those accidents occurred at night.
How to stay safe this Fourth of July
July 4th is considered one of the deadliest holidays. Here are four safety tips you can follow to help keep you safe:
- Avoid getting behind the wheel if you have been drinking: Alcohol and driving never mix. In 2010, alcohol-related accidents were responsible for the deaths of 392 people over the Fourth.
- Buckle up: Statistics show that seat belts save lives.
- Plan ahead of time how you are going to get home: Before you start drinking, you should know ahead of time how you are going to get home. This may include using a cab service or having a sober family member or friend to drive you home.
- Avoid other drunk drivers: If you recognize an impaired driver on the road, you should avoid them and refrain from passing them. Make sure to call 911 to report them. You may be a hero.
To learn more about building your car accident injury case and avoiding common mistakes, order your free copy of our book, 7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Injury Case.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, contact one of our experienced Santa Monica car accident attorneys at Steinberg Injury Lawyers at (800) 989-6385.