Almost every kid wants a dog. As adults, the same want still seems to apply. Many Americans would agree that dogs make for great pets. In fact, there are over 78 million dogs that are kept as pets in the United States. In California, 40 percent of households have a pet dog.
With so many dogs in the United States, there are bound to be some that bite. And they do. It is not as uncommon as one might think. In The U.S., there are over 800,000 dog bites annually that require medical attention.
Most dog bite victims in Los Angeles are completely taken off guard when the dog attacks. They have no idea what to do afterward. A dog bite victim should do these five things:
- Remain Calm – Being bitten by a dog is scary. Many victims panic after being bitten; this can cause the dog to become more aggressive and it can cause the victim to not think clearly. It is important to stay calm and respond in a manner that will keep the situation under control.
- Assess the situation – After the attack the victim should determine how severe the bite is. For severe bites, immediately call 911 and let the paramedics work on the injuries. For minor injuries, clean the wounds as best as possible. Even in the case of minor injuries medical attention should still be sought, as an infection can set in.
- Collect data – Collect all the data needed to document a case. This includes the names and addresses of witnesses, the dog owners name and address, where and when the bite took place, and the name and address of the person in possession of the dog. Write down your description of what happened. Also, be sure to take pictures of the injuries.
- Report the dog bite – Any dog bite in Los Angeles should be reported to the correct authorities. Reports with the police department, as well as animal control, should be filed.
- File a claim – If you have been bitten by a dog in Los Angeles you may be entitled to compensation. For the compensation you deserve, contact a Los Angeles dog bite attorney at Steinberg Injury Lawyers. Call 800-989-6385 today to schedule a free case evaluation. Our experienced and compassionate team is here to help!