California is not immune to the problem of semi crashes. Just last month, a Garden Grove truck accident injured a woman when she was struck by a commercial vehicle. What about the Bakersfield truck accident that occurred in February 2010, which resulted in a man’s death? These are tragic events that should never have happened to begin with.
The Truck Safety Coalition, a truck safety advocacy group comprised of truck crash survivors, has been urging Congress to keep the current federal truck size and weight limits in place. This organization is concerned that bigger and heavier trucks could lead to serious problems. A proposal has been made to increase the current weight limit of trucks from 80,000 lbs. to 97,000 lbs.
According to the Truck Safety Coalition, there are numerous reasons as to why tractor-trailers should not be longer or heavier. These reasons include:
- Already, over 100,000 people are injured each year in truck accidents in this country.
- The risk of serious injury and death in a big rig accident increases with each extra ton of weight.
- It takes a 100,000 lb. truck 25 percent longer to stop than an 80,000 lb. truck.
- Commercial trucks that are overweight are more likely to roll over in collisions and cause more damage.
- Heavier trucks may worsen road conditions, by causing more damage to bridges and roads at a faster rate.
- An 80,000 lb. truck can do as much damage to the road pavement as 9,600 cars.
Only time will tell if trucks are allowed to become bigger and heavier, but one thing is for certain – a Southern California truck accident can result in life-changing injuries. It is generally the people in the passenger vehicles who suffer the worst injuries, which often lead to death.
If you have been hurt in a truck accident in Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange County or other area in Southern California, you need to know that Steinberg Injury Lawyers is available to help you. When a trucker or trucking company causes a serious accident, they should be held responsible. As a truck accident victim, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Contact a Riverside truck accident attorney at our office today at (800) 989-6385. We provide settlement advancements and the consultation is free.