We are all aware of the risks involved in riding a motorcycle. A motorcycle does not offer the same protections as a car does and increases your risk of a serious injury if you are involved in a motorcycle accident. That risk is greater for newer riders.
The most dangerous time for a new motorcyclist
Safety studies show that new motorcyclists are more at risk of being involved in a motorcycle accident during the first year of operating a bike. The risks peak during the first month.
What the data reveals
According to the Highway Loss Data Institute:
- New riders are four times more at risk of being in a crash during the first 30 days than their entire second year.
- Of nearly 57,000 accident claims filed between 2003 and 2007, approximately 22 percent of those accidents occurred during the first 30 days of an insurance policy taking effect.
- The rate in claims dropped to one-third in the second month and nearly two-thirds after six months.
Why new riders are more at risk
Operating a motorcycle is a complex task, especially for newer bikers. It requires the operator to engage in many simultaneous actions that they are not used to, such as looking for oncoming traffic, braking, adjusting the throttle and shifting gears. It takes a great deal of experience and awareness.
What new riders should consider
There are many factors that new bikers should consider when operating a motorcycle, including:
- Making sure the bike is not too big or powerful.
- Understanding that a bike is not a toy.
- Don’t go too fast around unfamiliar turns.
- Avoid riding at night.
- Invest in durable protective gear such as a helmet, gloves and leather pants and jacket.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident
Even for experienced riders, not all motorcycle accidents are avoidable. A collision could leave you with a serious injury. You could find yourself unable to perform normal household chores and unable to perform your duties at work. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help.
You have the same rights
As an injured motorcyclist, you have the same rights as someone injured in a car accident. The team at Steinberg Injury Lawyers is experienced in handing motorcycle injury claims and will fight to protect your rights. Our goal is to ensure you get proper medical attention and receive the best settlement possible for your damages.
There is a lot to consider when building a motorcycle accident injury case. That is why you should order your free copy of our book, 7 Biggest Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Injury Case.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact one of our experienced Los Angeles, California motorcycle accident attorneys for a free case evaluation at Steinberg Injury Lawyers at (800) 989-6385.